Not sure when to send your save the date card? Wondering if you really need one? Don’t fret! Here are some helpful tips about save the date card etiquette.
- Save the date cards are announcements viewed as a preliminary invitation to your wedding.
- Save the date cards should be sent at least four to six months before your wedding day, and at least two months before your wedding invitations.
- Save the date cards aren’t formal or even a necessity, so feel free to personalize them creatively!
- They’re important primarily if many of your friends and family need to travel to your wedding, if your wedding date falls on or near a holiday or if your wedding location is seasonally busy or a popular vacation destination. Ideally, sending your save the date cards 9-12 months in advance is recommended if your wedding falls into any of these categories.
- Save the date cards provide your guests with ample time to request days off from work, make travel arrangements and organize babysitters or house-sitters. With proper notice, your guests will be able to make your special day an extended special vacation. A thoughtful gesture is to provide guests with additional information to help facilitate their travel, like tips on local special events or points of interest and any group discounts available.
Your guests will appreciate the advance notice of a save the date card as well as cherish it as a unique keepsake of your unforgettable event. For more helpful tips on save the date cards, visit our Things to Know page.