Need some tips on how to throw the perfect bridal shower for your BFF, sister or friend? Don’t worry. Guest blogger Carey from Dessy Group’s Bridesmaid Blog is here to help!
As a bridesmaid, one of your most important and fun tasks is throwing the bridal shower. You and the other bridesmaids get to throw one big, fun and memorable party! You can keep it simple and supply some favorite foods and fun games, or you can make it a theme. A wine and cheese party anyone? Pick your favorite bottles paired with amazing cheeses, crackers and fruit. You could go for a 50s or 80s retro-style theme, or even a cookie theme where each guest brings their favorite homemade cookies with recipe and varying utensils to help outfit the couple’s kitchen. The possibilities are endless!
Before the fun day begins there are a few things to remember. Don’t forget to keep a general timeline in order for all to run smoothly:
Two months before the shower:
- Set the time and date with the Bride-to-Be. The shower should be scheduled within a month or two of the actual wedding date.
- Prepare a guest list with the bride and groom’s help.
- Figure out a budget. Will the bride’s family be pitching in? If not, the costs can be divided evenly amongst all of the bridesmaids.
- If you’ll be using a restaurant or other venue now is a good time to reserve the space.
- Decide if you would like a theme for the shower. If so, begin preparing for decorations, food, games, gifts etc.
One month before the shower:
- Mail out the invitations.
- Plan a menu and figure out who will bring what food and supplies.
- Decide on games and prizes and purchase them.
- Ask the bride where she is registered so guests can bring the much needed gifts!
Two weeks before the shower:
- Find and wrap your gift to the bride-to-be.
- Prepare shopping list including all decorations.
- Confirm reservations or if you’re having the shower at home, make sure you have all necessary utensils, tables, chairs, etc.
- Arrange for someone to videotape and photograph the shower.
- Purchase thank you cards. On the day of the shower have each guest write their name and address on an envelope. This will make it easy for the bride to send out her thanks after the shower.
The day of the shower:
- Decorate! This will be a fun day with you and the other bridesmaids-enjoy.
- Pick up or prepare food.
- Reconfirm any reservations and delegated responsibilities.
- Get ready to have a fun and memorable day!
Carey Gordon, MBA, is a blogger for The Dessy Group. Originally from the Midwest, her work in Marketing and Communications has taken her to positions abroad in both the UK and Cyprus. She is currently based in Berkeley, CA.