Wedding Paper Divas is bursting with staff grooms and brides-to-be who are currently planning their weddings. We’re happy to share their stories with you as a part of this fun feature!
I can’t believe there are only three more months until Adam and I say “I do!” With almost all of the big things now booked and taken care of, we are now focused on our honeymoon. A few months ago I asked Adam where he wanted to go and right away he said, Italy—one of my favorites to visit! Since he had never been before and I have a couple times, I suggested we go to the northern part of Italy, as it (I feel) would be the best place to go for his first time.
We sat down and came up with a plan. We would start in Rome, then head up to Siena and Florence, then finish off our trip with a drive down the Mediterranean coast. When planning your honeymoon it is important to have a plan of what cities you would like to visit, and then you can build your trip upon that. It is also important that you do/see something each of you would like, especially if one of you has been to your destination before.
After we booked our flight we started looking at hotels. Adam realized he could use his Marriott points and ended up booking the beautiful Boscolo Palace Roma hotel in Rome and because he used his points, we got the fifth night free! We are also going to be using my Visa Rewards points to book our hotel in Florence!
Next we will sit down with my Uncle—who is from Milan and travels to Italy many times a year for work—and plan out the rest of the details. Because I have been Rome and Florence before, I know which places we should see and which we should skip, but having someone who knows the area well will help when it comes down to the details like where to eat and what off-the-map places we should see.
Here are my tips for planning your honeymoon:
- Decide where you both would like to go early on in your wedding planning so you can start looking out for deals.
- If you have points (i.e. frequent flyer miles, credit card points, etc.) see if you can use them on your trip. This really helps to cut down on cost!
- Remember this is a trip for the both of you to celebrate your new life together. Compromise and do/see things you both want. And if you are going to a foreign country, like Italy, make sure you pick a hotel/resort at some point on your trip where you can take a break and relax for a couple days. Enjoy this time together!
- If you know someone who is from or has traveled to your destination before, use them as a resource. You will probably get tips and ideas from them you can’t find in a travel book or on a website.
- Lastly, book the big stuff first (flights, hotels, car) worry about the details later. Don’t stress yourself out early on in your wedding planning with the honeymoon details, you have enough to stress about. Two-three months out is a good time to start planning the little things.
Ashley and Adam met a little over three years ago when they were both out with friends at a bar. They spent the night talking about sports and dealing with other friends’ drama. A few days later they went on their first date and have been inseparable since. Three years later, Adam popped the question to a very surprised Ashley!
Ashley and Adam are getting married April 28, 2012 at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga, California.